Getting fit and staying fit is not easy for quite a few people. Whatever the reasons that prevent folks from continuing to exercise after starting, and there are many (most are just excuses, though), year after year the quitting rate continues to rise. For instance, over half of new exercisers at the beginning of each year quit within 30 days. Even more alarming, a total of about 80-90% of these same new exercisers quit at about the five-month mark.
This post is not meant to be exhaustive. I want to just throw some key tips at you that I share with my clients. Taking these tips and applying them to your fitness lifestyle, the hope is that they will help you keep moving. Living fit is a journey! If you need help getting started and keeping you on the path of healthy living, this is what I’m here for as an Online Personal Trainer. Enjoy!
DEFINE YOUR PURPOSE
Why do you want to get fit?
Gives you direction and builds on your purpose.
Failing to plan, is planning to fail. Plan and prepare your meals and workouts for the week. What gets scheduled gets done!!
BACK TO THE BASICS
Move your body every day and eat whole foods by filling up on veggies, fruits, whole grains, healthy fats and lean proteins.
Trying means you’re not committed. Commit to be fit. “Do or do not, there is no try.” – Yoda
GET COMFORTABLE BEING UNCOMFORTABLE
This is where the magic happens.
POWER OF LESS
Focus on one habit at a time for an 80% chance of success. Add an additional habit and the success rate drops to 20%.
CONSISTENCY IS KEY
Be consistent with your diet and exercise routine. Every action either takes you closer to or further away from your goals.
MAKE IT A HABIT
Being fit is a way of life, not a quick fix to lose 10lbs for your beach vacation.
ACCOUNTABILITY & SUPPORT
Share your goals and plan with people in your life.
STOP DEPRIVING YOURSELF
Focus on putting good fuel into your body by ADDING in what you need, and it will eventually push out what you don’t need.
DUMP THE JUNK!
If it is in your house, it will eventually be eaten. Get rid of the junk food!!
BE THE EXAMPLE
Be what you want to see in the world. If it’s a healthier family, it starts with you.
BOTTOM LINE: Living fit is a journey, not a destination.
Commit to live fit!!